03 June 2009

Shuffle. Skip. Repeat.

In 6 months – I’ve learned more than I’d learned in the previous twenty-two years. Lesson to be had? Life isn’t perfect, nor is it without its hardships. There will be ups and downs, progress and regressions, but through it all one must maintain an unwavering commitment to pushing on. Sometimes, the bad will seem to outweigh the good, but the urge to give in to pessimism and apathy must be avoided like the plague that it is. Good and bad are merely states of perspective, they aren’t absolute. Ultimately, you decide.

I’ve decided to take the days as they come. Today for today, tomorrow as tomorrow. Are they connected? Sure – but the latter should never influence the former.

I’ve come to realize that my life has been nothing short of amazing, and not in a glorification-of-the-past sort of way. I’ve been extremely fortunate in having the opportunity to experience multiple transitions and fresh starts – particularly since I decided to move to Florida. Despite bouts of uncertainty associated with being alone in a place far from home, it has been an invaluable experience. Everyone that I’ve met – since that fateful day that I walked into Joe’s Crab Shack a clean shaven, naïve to the world, eighteen year old – has left an unmistakable mark. Some, bigger than others. Some that will hopefully remain with me a lifetime.

No comments: